Saturday, August 01, 2009

Yours Truly in Shaker Square

On Wednesday, July 29, 2009, my youngest protégé and I went to the Yours Truly restaurant on Shaker Square in Cleveland. This place is an institution in the neighborhood and one I have been to in the past. I am not a big fan of American fare such as that gotten at chains, but I do not downplay the fact there are some that are daring enough to try something a little different, and the Monte Cristo, which is one of their signature dishes, has always been delectable any time I have eaten there.
On this evening, we arrived at about 5:45 PM on the way to a movie at Shaker Square Cinema, if you are Harry Potter fan, think twice before paying to see it, I was very unimpressed though liked all the others. We would have liked to sit outside but that was not an option so we went in. Immediately upon arrival my companion decided to try his burgeoning "pick-up" skills on the unsuspecting hostess. She was wonderful and had me laughing by her comment, "He’s learning." She then seated us at a table by the window, and our server very quickly greeted us. Hillary you were superb and should teach others how to do this.
We ordered drinks, all the while the youngster trying to pick her up as well. Nice try, kid. He decided on the Club and I on the Tuscan Chicken with corn chowder and a side salad. The club was not what we have come to know as the triple deck sandwich with turkey, ham, cheese, bacon, and the like. This was a large burger with melted cheddar cheese and bacon, more like a bacon cheddar burger, but call it what you any, it was definitely a meal. He also ordered a cottage cheese and fruit plate. My soup came out first and, though it was perfect in consistency, I found it quite boring, even after I added pepper, twice. I had the kid try it as well just so he has experience with flavors unfamiliar to his palate.
When all of our food arrived, it took a bit too long considering the lack of people in the place, it looked monstrous. The salad was nice with two slices of cucumber and two grape tomatoes and the dressing was served on the side, thank you for that because I forgot to ask. The youngster dug into his burger and kept saying how great it was. I turned my attention to the chicken, which was grilled in Extra Virgin Olive Oil along with fresh spinach and onions with a topping of red peppers and mozzarella cheese (I might have used a stronger cheese because the flavor was lost amongst the others). The flavors were incredible and, considering how much I hate chicken breast and its dryness, the chicken was perfectly done. The youngster liked it, too.
At the end of the meal, when so many others fail so miserably, our server stepped it up and was there at exactly the right time. Even though with tip it cost $35.00, it was worth it to have such a nice experience. Whatever you guys are doing, you are doing it right, kudos to you!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home