Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Apartment Fiasco

At about 8AM on Tuesday the 22nd of December 2009, I was awakened to pounding on a door somewhere outside of my apartment. Knowing that the pest control people were supposed to be around sometime that day, I figured it was just them. That was until I heard the words most people only hear on "Cops." "Open up. This is the police." They continued to bang on the door louder and louder saying, "We're not going anywhere so open the door."

I was still on the couch when I noticed a young guy out on MY balcony with nothing on but boxers, mind you it was about 25 degrees at that time, knocking on my patio door. When I did not answer, he kept knocking AND made the attempt to open the door. Prophetcially, my roommate had made a comment about the door bar the evening before and how it was ridiculous, BUT he locked it anyway, which we do not often do when we are home. The lock on the door itself hasn't worked in more than three weeks and it took more than two of those to get the bar put in. J also decided to shut the shades, which, since were are on the upper floors, we also rarely do. It is strange how we were discussing it and it came to pass.

The bond he and I have get more and more strange with every passing day, though it is a good thing.

Anyway, after the guy on the balcony left toward the north, I can only assume he jumped back from whence he came, the police were knocking on MY door. I opened it and they asked if anything was happening. At that point they noticed another guy on my balcony and ran through my place pointing a gun at him through the slider. He began to move back toward the other balcony and was ordered to stop with drawn weapons. They opened the slider and pulled him in onto my floor and dropped him right there, handcuffing him and telling him that he had warrants in Cleveland and Euclid. They kept asking him if the other guy was with him to which he said no, of course.

They took him out of my place and I was about to go to the bathroom when I was told to stay where I was. I hate that after the trauma of someone trying to break into my house AND the police coming through my door, that I was being treated as a criminal. Oh, by the way, there were Euclid police AND Federal Marshalls. I told them that there was a "little" dude in only boxers on my balcony before the guy the caught,  at which time they asked if I could identify a photo. I told them that was not possible as I did not see his face.

When my roommate got up to get something to drink, they had come back to my door. They looked at me and said, "Is that him?" First off, he was right in front of them from the time they walked in, secondly he is 6' 2" and would in now way be thought of as "little." They then decided to search my place, and left all the lights on, and ordered us to produce IDs. After checking us out, they decided we were good then apologized for the intrusion.

I thought, for some reason, that being high up in a "highrise" building might alleviate the problems involved in someone breaking in from the outside, I guess that was not the case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home