Monday, December 13, 2010

Jalisco Mexican Restaurant in Eastlake

I haven't done this in a while  so bare with me (or is that bear????hmmm?)..

Yesterday afternoon, about 2pm,  I went Jalisco. I have been wanting to go since it opened a few months ago, but have changed entire eating style so it was not in the proverbial cards. There was absolutely NO ONE there except me and the workers (all of them cute younger guys, especially the one who was eating at a table near mine in the dining room and cleared my table, but I digress).

I ordered the dinner special and iced tea, brilliant for a winter's afternoon, but too bad.  was given, surprise, surprise, a basket of tortilla chips and a carafe of salsa. My questions is this: What has happened to flavorful salsa at authentic Mexican restaurants? This stuff was bland as has been the case in the last five or six places I have eaten. I say authentic because everyone there appeared and sounded to be from an hispanic origin. AND why the hell do they have to ddep fry the tortillas? I personally think the tatse of the oil takes away from the flavor of the tortilla. Anyway, it was OK but nothing special.

The above goes for the entire meal. The guacamole, though, was superb. It had some residual heat, that I loved. Their sauce, though was very tomato-y. It was, in short, boring.

Now on to the positives: I love what they have done with the place as a whole. It is inviting and has great ambiance. The staff was attentive without being annoying, though my server stayed on his cell phone most of the time then went on break. Service was completed by another young gentleman who was much better than the first (in fact I told HIM to keep the tip but am unsure as to whether or not he unerstood what I meant, I think he did). My food was delivered by yet someone else, but it was hot and quick, probably took less than ten minutes.

I will have to go back when they are busy to see if things are different, but as far as food??? Maybe, they have decided to tone down the spice to make things more palatable for the general US taste, but I find it unexciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home