Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Cracker Barrel in Willoughby, Ohio

Not that I have to really tell you, BUT do NOT go to this place if you want to eat healthy. It is impossible! I am not in any way saying this to be mean, just honest. They do, of course, offer salads and such, but why in the HELL would you go to Cracker Barrel to eat a fucking salad? That would be the ultimate DUH thing to do!



Anyway, before I continue on this rant, I want to let you know how this went. I first have to say I really hate having to travel through the store portion of the place before getting to the restaurant portion, but, since it is a necessary evil, I will do it when need be. I also want to say Merry Christmas, with finger raised, to all of you out there who think you are the only person in the world. It is nice (he said very sarcastically) to know that this supposedly most joyous of seasons brings out the absolute worst in a huge array of people. Do not think you can push through me! A simple, "sorry," or, "excuse me," would suffice, but NO some of you need a slap in the fucking face to get it. One day you might just get what you deserve, but, I digress.



On this very blustery day, 16 degrees at the warmest and 20-30 mile per hour winds with a bit of Lake Effect snow, reminiscent of our trip to the Mexican place last year around this time, we decided to go to Cracker Barrel. We were immediately greeted and seated, the hostess had a bit of an accent so it was difficult to understand her when she asked us if our seats were all right, but I figured it out and we said, "OK." Within seconds our server, and I won't use names anymore unless it is completely positive, Sharon showed up and asked for our drink order. She was back in the perfect amount of time but we had still not decided upon our food. She left us for another couple of minutes and was back when we needed her to be. I also need to add that this woman had the most incredible personality. She was bubbly without being overbearing and just exuded friendliness. She seemed like someone I would invite into my living room to join in a gathering I might be having. She had what I can only describe as the "Robin Swoboda" kind of way about her.



The food we ordered was pretty damned good. My partner ordered a strip steak with corn and baker, while I ordered the Grandpa's breakfast with grits, that phenomenal hash brown casserole, and chicken fried chicken. The food came out in about eight minutes, which was incredibly fast and it was all done as we wished. In fact, my companion liked her steak more than the last one she had at Texas Roadhouse. I liked everything I had EXCEPT the gravy. I would prefer just a pepper gravy rather than the sausage gravy, but that is just my preference. Other than that, the over medium eggs were just that and that casserole... Damn! And, for some reason, their grits always taste better than mine. Oh, I would also not recommend the chicken fried chicken. It was to floury and very dry even though deep fried.



Sharon came back, conversed with us about doing "donuts" in the parking lot(s), and left our check when we were ready for it. My companion asked for a "doggie bag," which took a bit too long, but all in all it was a pretty good experience. I, for one, will not be going back there any time soon if I want to continue my healthy ways, but that should not dissuade you in any way. If you like good old, gut-busting, rib-sticking, American Fare, get your ass in gear and go to the Cracker Barrel in Willoughby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home