Thursday, July 02, 2009

The Boathouse in Put-in-Bay

Well, I don't know what to say. Most of the last few reviews have been much too good for my liking. I have had very little to say, which is, in truth what I always hope for wen entering any establishment, contrary to what you all may want to believe. Maybe all my bitching and complaining, I know that is basically redundant but we all feel the need to explain ourselves sometime and this must be mine.

I have to give you a bit of background before I get into what I thought about the Boathouse Grill and Bar on South Bass Island in the village of Put-in-Bay. Back in the mid 1990sIi worked at the school on the island for about two years, which means I also lived there. It was a wonderful place but in the winter it could make a person VERY stir crazy, especially when neither the planes nor the boats were running. An incredible feeling of claustrophobia could take over and it often did. Another thing is the fact that, being such a small year round community, less the 300 people when I was there, everyone knows your every move, often seemingly before you even do it. They say that familiarity breeds contempt and I can see that in some ways, which is part of the reason it took me nearly 12 years to return. within our first 1/2 hour on the island we went into a shop, the name of which escapes me, and I saw one of the sweetest people I have ever met (Sue you are still the best!) and got caught up on all the gossip of the past decade. While in her shop, I spoke to her sister-in-law (Karen I love you, too), who I used to work next door to and live next door to at one point. She brought me up to speed on a great deal of info. After that we were famished, which is not something that is rare when this companion and I are together. I also must tell you that I very rarely ate at any of the establishments because they were ridiculously priced in order to squeeze every buck out of what they termed the "tourons" (short for tourist morons).

After walking around the Boardwalk and realizing the overpriced shit there was not worth the Lobster Bisque I remember as being the best I had ever tasted. Instead we opted for the Boathouse on the east end of the village park. We made a wonderful choice, although the plexiglass next to the sidewalks at all of the bars was incredibly disconcerting. I blocked to breeze and was full of bugs, which is not a slam in any way, just an observation. I am sure it has to do with village rules and regs (maybe even ATF rules, who knows, our server didn't when I asked her).

Anyway, as I have written lately, it is difficult and damned pricey to eat healthy, but there was one choice on this very small menu (I want to applaud the Boathouse, as well, for not trying to please everyone and keeping the menu short and sweet) chicken breast wrapped in what appeared to be and tasted like a multi-grain tortilla then smothered in a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce, topped with cheddar cheese with lettuce . There were also some of those thin strangely colored tortilla chips, which were pointless in my mind. I never did like that much too red color of some of those, it gives me the creeps. The wrap was served with coleslaw and I ordered a small crab soup which was wonderful. The wrap was quite good, too (even though it was chicken breast which, to me, is perennially dry through no fault of any establishment, but since it is better for me I will choke it down on occasion). My companion ordered a Reuben which was served on an odd pretzel shaped egg bun. The taste was OK but the bun was great.

For around $25.00 in Put-in-Bay, in high season, it could not have been beaten. Kudos to whomever is managing the place at this point in time. I also want to ensure that our server is complimented. She was perfect with her timing and had a wonderful disposition which we all know is sadly lacking in many of our service establishments. The receipt says our server was Tatler, so... excellent job Ms. Tatler, thank you for helping to make this trip wonderful.

Upon our departure I realized that I really did miss it, but was afraid to come back. Thanks Terry, Sue, Amy and of course Karen for making it a homecoming of sorts. I miss you guys and really want to come back and spend some time with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home