Friday, May 08, 2009

Thai Orchid in Mentor, Ohio

Let me begin this by telling you what a blast this evening was. I was the recipient of an invitation to accompany my good friend and muse to the Thai Orchid with some of her oldest, don't take offense now, and dearest friends (in fact, they all started talking about high school, though that is quite another story). I never know what to expect when I meet another of the crew except that it will be exhilarating, interesting, hilarious and often downright fucking crude. I was definitely not disappointed. I am going to call this, "La Comida con las Bhutanas."

When we arrived, fashionably late of course, the three lovely women had already begun to eat appetizers. I was offered an egg roll which was quite good and even might be better than Hunan on Lakeshore, which I didn't think was possible. After a bit of humorous meet and greet, and the conversations got rolling, so much so that one of those there earlier forgot she had not yet ordered. Once that realization hit, we decided there was an overwhelming need for food. One ordered skewers, though that is not the correct terminology, another the Moosa Curry, or something like that, while other orders were the asparagus scallop, asparagus shrimp, and the Pad Thai.

While awaiting the arrival of the food, I was introduced to a word that will stay with me for some time, Bhuta, which I will not explain here, but will give you the hint I was too dense to get at that time (think Madonna and/or Angelina Jolie). The food arrived in the perfect amount of time and smelled heavenly. My dish, the asparagus scallop was a combination of crisp asparagus, perfectly cooked bay scallops, peppers, carrots, onions, mushroom, tomatoes (oddly) and tofu in a light sauce. It was excellent. Though I think the tofu would have been a bit more palatable if it had been in smaller pieces, as the consistency is a bit too mushy, yes that is a technical term damn it, for me. My colorful across the table new friend, I'll call her the Bhuta Queen, ordered the Curry. This dish is almost beyond description. It had the bite of curry, though not too strong, with tofu, peanuts, and veggies in a light slightly peanutty curry sauce. I know it sounds odd, but it was wonderful. The Pad Thai was also passed around the table by another of the Bhuta express, sorry about that choking thing. Let me tell you, real Pad Thai ain't nothing like that shit you get from the grocery store. The flavors were much more interesting at Thai Orchid. The skewers were also good, I guess, but Bhuta gorgioso never really did tell us. I am thinking the asparagus and shrimp was pretty tasty, too since nothing was left by the end of the meal. There was also an order of fried brown rice which was good alone but stupendous with the curry sauce drizzled on top. And, to top it all off, our service was excellent. The waitress was there when we needed her and she never hovered. When we had an odd way of paying the bill she did not bat an eye and took it up happily. Kudos to this place in all ways important. Oh, and the decor was inviting as well.

Sadly, though, there were a couple of things that were not great, I know you all expect this so sit back and let me do my thing. There were a couple of kids on the other side of the wall who decided we needed a bit of a serenade with spoons and plates or cups or what-the-fuck-ever, and they were part of the family I would suspect because they both went behind the counter, one without shoes, as we were winding down. And, most depressingly, there was a very nice bar that, now sit down, was NOT BEING USED. For fucking shame!!!!!!! Oh and I must mention those lovely lips, you know of whom I speak.

All kidding aside, I would definitely go back there and try as much as I could. I would just ask that they not let the kids be so annoying or be seen behind the counter without shoes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home