Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Deck Restaurant and Lounge in Eastlake, Ohio.

The first thing I want to say is: I was not impressed. The second thing I want to say is: I was not impressed. The third thing I want to say is.... you get the picture.

Although this place is part of a yacht club, it looks incredibly old and tired. It needs paint, and just general sprucing up. After a couple hours canoeing on the Chagrin River we decided to stop at The Deck because we had happened to paddle right past and were hungry. We arrived at approximately 6:45PM to a place that had maybe six people at the bar and two other diners outside on the screened porch where we decided to eat. We also wanted to drink, which then involves smoking, therefore we went to the place relegated to we evil smoker-trash, the outer realm. Anyway, it began not well. I thanked the waitress for something and she completely ignored me. I also had the major misfortune of sitting at a table where the ant brigade had set up shop. I made a comment to Heather, our server, and her response was, "Oh, that must have been from breakfast." She made no attempt to clean it or do anything else. That, is very poor service, as you all well know.

Ordering was in itself a trip. There were six of us so it was not difficult, in fact three of us got the same thing, and the other two patrons were done so we were her only customers. But, as you may have guessed, she had some problems. She came back, at least five minutes after we had ordered, to "make sure she got it right." I don't know about you, but I would make sure before I had even gone back to the kitchen. Three of us ordered the fish and chips while one ordered a ribeye steak sandwich "bloody rare," and the other two decided to order the Big Deck Boy, their version of the famous Big Boy sandwich from the days of yore, unless you want to go to West 130th and Brookpark.

Heather did not make any mistakes with what we ordered, which we worried about due to her coming back, BUT the way in which it was done left something to be desired. The two who had the Big Boy style burgers were happy with them. The three of us who had the fish were happy with the fires, greasy fair style hand cut fries that should have been served with vinegar. I spotted some and got it myself. The coleslaw, touted as "homemade" by a woman who kept coming out to smoke two tables away from us while we were eating, I hate people smoking while I eat as I would never do that to someone else, was good but nothing to write home about. It had a good amount of pepper in it which I always request, but was not quite sweet enough to be considered a good slaw. Tony Roma's used to have the hands-down best slaw anywhere. Then there was the fish. Out of the three pieces I had, one was like rubber. Of my two co-conspirators who also had the same dinner, one said two of her pieces were rubber and the other said one of his was like that. Under-cooked fish is absolutely disgusting. (You sushi people, I cannot figure out.)

Now, on to the Ribeye Sandwich. I have to tell you, this member of our crew almost invariably loves her food. This dinner was no exception, and I even tried it. I agree with her estimation that it was very tender and tasty, but that is all. She ordered, "bloody rare," meat, and said so more than once, but it came out at least medium well. The bread should have been toasted, too because it was just too mushy I would have definitely sent it back, but instead I will send this blog to the owner. Come on now, from "bloody rare" to no fucking pink at all. How is it possible that someone could have been too blind to notice that? Oh well, we didn't send our fish back either but definitely should have. The people running this place should remove their heads from their collective ass, then they may be able to make it a bit better. Wake the fuck up guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home