Sunday, February 08, 2009

Noosa on Mentor Avenue in Mentor, Ohio.

As is often the case, I want to preface this with a comment. I do not want anyone to get the wrong impression of this writing. Although much of what went on was incorrect, the place itself deserves a second chance because, and I've said this a thousand times or so, breakfast is a very difficult thing to fuck up, though.....

I have to tell you, this place has been on our radar for quite some time but we could think of no real reason to go until this past Sunday. After one of our patented long nights (early mornings), we decided we needed breakfast. Well, you all know I like to try different things so, while wracking my brain trying to come up with something new, I suddenly remembered seeing something about a brunch starting at Noosa. I made the suggestion and all involved agreed. We arrived at 10:55 and we happy to see that the doors were open due to the fact that the sign on the door advertised the brunch from 11 until, I think, 4. We walked in to a very nice looking bar but saw no one around. We roamed toward the hostess stand and were quickly greeted by the only server. She showed us to a table deep in to the place, which was nice all around. Linen tablecloths, though covered by paper that reminded me of a doctor’s examination table, appealing décor, and an all around comfortable ambiance, as well as the shiny bar, made our introduction to Noosa quite worthy of note.

The first thing I looked for was the buffet table… There was none. I assumed, giving purpose to the old adage of “ass out of U and me,” that a brunch would be a buffet, so ingrained it is in our collective psyche. Anyway, disappointment was soon evident among the three of us when we were presented with a cheap cardboard menu including about ten choices. They were somewhat interesting; with an eggs Florentine and a couple of interesting omelets, but the prices were absolutely not breakfast fare for the general area. In fact, I could have gotten three breakfasts for what I paid for one there. It would have been comparable in size, too and probably served a great deal more quickly, but as usual, I digress.

By now all of you know one of my perennial party likes things plain, so, when ordering her “Noosa Breakie,” which was nothing more than eggs, toast, potatoes, and sausage, she pointedly asked if there were anything in them, making specific mention of onions. The server returned saying that there were not. She also, my companion that is, made sure to mention that she wanted her eggs scrambled, and that was it. I as usual ordered my eggs over medium as always and the other ordered a “Noosa Scrambler.” Mind you there was nothing really, “brunch-like” on the menu; it was all just typical breakfast fare with a slight upscale flair.

As I alluded to earlier, it took quite a bit of time to get our food AND when it arrived, the server asked our “I just want it plain,” person if it was OK that her eggs came with peppers, onions, etc. She replied, “Of course not that’s why I made sure you understood that I wanted them ‘Just Scrambled.’” Once the server left again, she said that the potatoes were probably full of thing, too. She was right. The scrambler was good according to that part of our party. My eggs, as is often the case, were not done correctly. The yolks were hard, therefore NOT over medium, but I expect them to be wrong because they are more often wrong than right, just not for $8.50. I want to tell you, though; I thought the potatoes were wonderful. They had just the right seasoning with some onions, peppers and maybe a bit of garlic. If it weren’t so expensive, I would go back just for those.

The service was fine, in general, and should have been since no one else even came in while we were there. I felt badly when I saw her trip coming out of the kitchen but she did not get hurt. I wish she would have actually asked the cook about the potatoes rather than just answering. I also think it would behoove her to get a better handle on the ins and outs of the menu, but she was honest about the fact that she had not done a brunch before.
I, and my companions, would like to return for the regular service, possibly sometime in the summer when we can sit on the patio. We looked at the other menus, which were behind the hostess station, and they seemed to have decent prices, not outrageous for the fare and perceived, “Upscale ness,” of this martini bar. BUT do NOT go to the brunch. Truthfully, if it wasn’t as late as it was, I would have suggested we go someplace else because of the buffet thing. If you are from the area you know damned well a brunch should include a buffet. I feel like we were victims of the old “bait and switch” advertising tactic and it pissed me off. $34.69 for three breakfast meals that were just meals??? Not on my budget!! Re-think your strategy folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home