Thursday, June 22, 2006

NCCI, A field chase company.

I work as an independent contractor with various inspection and skip chasing companies across the United States and have been doing so for about the last three to four years. Most of the companies are great. Some are just OK. Others are a constant battle. And some are not even worth mentioning. Today I am going to write about one that has been a constant battle. That company is NCCI, the National Creditors Connection, Inc.

The most read trade web page for fieldwork such as that I do calls them one of the best. I feel they are one of the, if not the, worst. They are quite large; therefore, they treat some field representatives like dirt in my estimation. Let me explain.

A large corporation, such as Novastar Mortgage, has an account for which a couple of payments have been late. The customer has not responded to letters, phone calls, etc. Novastar then contracts NCCI, out of California, who then contracts field representatives in the various areas needed across the country in order to have someone physically go to the address in question. I am one of those people.

NCCI has a policy that allows the large corporation one “rechase” on each order if the results did not include a contact with the debtor. A “rechase,” as it sounds, is nothing more than a return to the property in question for another attempt at contact. We contractors know about this policy, although I personally do not like because it feels as if I, the little branch in this tree, have to pay for something they should have dealt with before allowing the customer to get this far. Be that as it may, that is not my problem today.

My problem lies in the fact that I was sent an order that had the wrong address. I went to the place where the house was supposed to be but there was no matching address. The house to the south had one number the next house had another number, and the number I was looking for should have been in between. There wasn’t even enough space for a shed between the properties; therefore, the address never will exist on the street to which I was sent. Now, they sent me a “rechase.” My complaint is this, though I have already said I do not like “rechases,” I do them when sent since I agreed to do so. This, on the other hand, is not a “rechase” in my mind. This “rechase” said I was to go to an entirely different address because someone made a mistake. I did not make the mistake. Either NCCI or the corporation made the mistake. Now they want me to go back out there for no money and do what I should have been able to do the first time had they had their facts straight in the beginning. I spoke with people at NCCI and they do not understand what my complaint is. They say it is the same as any other “rechase.” I say they are wrong and if they consider this to be so, they must change the policy. I would never in a million years have agreed to such utter nonsense. Come on guys, this is a pure and simple case of making the little guy pay for the mistakes of big business.
On another note, when arguing with Mark, he kept bringing up the “fact” that I make a good deal of money from NCCI. That is not the case. I make maybe $300.00 a month so it is really not worth it to me to have these hassles. In fact, I have tried to get them to understand that I do not want to travel anywhere except a specific small area due to the “rechases,” but they keep sending me other. I charge them more for the out of county stuff, and then fight with them. They finally agree, but it is always a difficulty. They say I don’t listen. I’m tired of working for them in this capacity and they just continue to send things. I keep with them because there is one section of the company I like so I do not want to lose those. BUT it is getting to the point where I will, because I cannot stand for a company I work with to shit on the little guy as they are doing, AND helping even bigger guys to do.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John,

I am new to the field services industry, and I have experienced the same problem with NCCI. What exactly is the most read trade web page for the field services industry?

I know there are other companies out there. Can you post a link to the web page or recommend some other good companies, national or regional to So Cal?

I would appreciate the info brother!

Thanks,

CS

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you posted this a long time ago; you may not even be in the business anymore.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I work for NCCI and I have had a couple of incidents like you have commented on but it was dealt with by the company and we have come to the understanding of fairness. If you do not find the address to be valid before you go out, as in not finding the full address on your mapping site of choice, then you do research before going out. The ten extra minutes makes all the difference in the world.

NCCI has been a good income for me. I am treated well because I in turn treat them well and carry myself professionally. I am responsible for my business and have found communication is the key to any good business.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Teri you dont work for NCCI anymore, nobody does)

NCCI gave up its field agent program years ago, they now delegated the job to independent contract companies also know as a regional reps, that actually run these field chases illegally (more on this later)

First: What you need to take into consideration before you work for "any" field chase company is your life is on the line every time you knock on a door, you pay for your own gas and maintenance for your vehicle, and there is no steady pay. Its literally feast or famine, the business is very up and down. You get tons of assignments one week and get a slow trickle the next. Its hard to financially plan for anything.

Second: NCCI did pay $25 per chase in the past, now they delegate the job to these contract companies and these companies are required by NCCI to pay you only $15 per chase, the contract companies get to keep $10 per chase. NOW WAIT A MINUTE... The contract companies keep 40% of the pay to simply delegate the work, and read the reports, yet "you" the field agent takes all of the risks... Doesnt seem very fair... Keep in mind NCCI charges the client at least $50 - $150 per field chase and you get $15 to get shot at... NCCI will tell you they dont, however I have had clients tell me what NCCI bills them for there field chases.

Third: The purpose of these contract companies was to create localized supervision, NCCI claimed they could no longer supervise these Field Agents from California it was becoming to daunting of a task, however the contract companies in general over see 3 - 4 states. Let me tell you, if you cant supervise Field Agents in Kansas from California you cant supervise Field Agents that are two states away any better.

Four: Field Agents dont care about the work they receive from NCCI. Companies like Sand Castle and Guardian pay $25 per chase and pay for rechases (NCCI does not pay for rechases, your expected to do this for FREE). NCCI knows as much as they hate to admit it, Field Agents work for multiple companies. Sooooo here is the problem, and what is leading to the demise of the once almighty field chasing company known as NCCI. IF YOU have companies you contract with that pay 40% more than NCCI, you are going to do quality work for the competitors, not for NCCI... DUH!

Five: No quality = no clients, no clients = no NCCI... Pretty simple huh? Now that NCCI has shot them selves in the foot, they have caused hundreds if not thousands of agents nationwide to stop caring about them. Clients are leaving right and left, and field agents revolve through the doors of these regional contact companies right and left.

Six: Naughty... Naughty... What the clients have not figured out yet (those who are still left) is NCCI is somewhat operating illegally. They are obtaining business from clients and giving the business to these independent contract companies to service. In itself that doesnt sound bad, but what the clients dont know is, these independent contract companies are not licensed collection agencies in the states they service. Not only is that a state violation its a federal violation. (Please note, there are few states that do not require a collection license). NCCI trys to pass its self as an umbrella for these contract companies to the client, but the umbrella does smoke and mirrors...

Seven: To bad NCCI you had a great thing at one point, you got greedy and now you to are going to have to face the consequences. You have independent contract companies that are going financially belly up, field agents that dont care about you or your clients.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Lamont said...

I signed on with NCCI a good while back, and they sent me a ton of jobs, but they were out a long ways. I do not usually do jobs that pay as low as they do, but I set up the three-day run. I did my first day, and stayed in a motel overnight, anxious to get the other two planned day's of runs done. On that second day, I ran across one that was non-existent address. I called Mark, and he said I had been terminated, because I did not submit soon enough. I told him to start with it would take several days to get them done, and I was doing them a favor doing ones that were so far-flung (and for such a low rate)! He was adamant. I asked to be paid for what I had already done, and he refused; I never received any payment from them. I have never been treated so heartlessly by a company! I had reservations about doing the jobs for such a "cut rate," but was sold on it, due to the (potential) quantity of work. I would recommend to anyone to avoid NCCI like the plague!!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Lamont said...

I signed on with NCCI a good while back, and they sent me a ton of jobs, but they were out a long ways. I do not usually do jobs that pay as low as they do, but I set up the three-day run. I did my first day, and stayed in a motel overnight, anxious to get the other two planned day's of runs done. On that second day, I ran across one that was non-existent address. I called Mark, and he said I had been terminated, because I did not submit soon enough. I told him to start with it would take several days to get them done, and I was doing them a favor doing ones that were so far-flung (and for such a low rate)! He was adamant. I asked to be paid for what I had already done, and he refused; I never received any payment from them. I have never been treated so heartlessly by a company! I had reservations about doing the jobs for such a "cut rate," but was sold on it, due to the (potential) quantity of work. I would recommend to anyone to avoid NCCI like the plague!!

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I signed on with NCCI a good while back, and they sent me a ton of jobs, but they were out a long ways. I do not usually do jobs that pay as low as they do, but I set up the three-day run. I did my first day, and stayed in a motel overnight, anxious to get the other two planned day's of runs done. On that second day, I ran across one that was non-existent address. I called Mark, and he said I had been terminated, because I did not submit soon enough. I told him to start with it would take several days to get them done, and I was doing them a favor doing ones that were so far-flung (and for such a low rate)! He was adamant. I asked to be paid for what I had already done, and he refused; I never received any payment from them. I have never been treated so heartlessly by a company! I had reservations about doing the jobs for such a "cut rate," but was sold on it, due to the (potential) quantity of work. I would recommend to anyone to avoid NCCI like the plague!!

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wurk fur difurent companys. NCCI sands peepul an rechasis, no pai
Peepul who wurks fur NCCI cum to wurk, du same job, get pai.
No 1 wurks for nada X-ept stupido field inspectatores.
I wurk for Sand CAstillos, pay $20, whu get 25? All companys cheet field inspettore!
Member - All busynesses wur same; they makee $250, pai yu $25 (10%)
Why I wurk for these @#$%^&*;
I am Bottom Feeder, make >100K, lost job, unemplyed, hav tu feed doggee.

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA - love all of this - i worked for company awhile back through a contractor - worked for them over a year and lots of things changed during that time - I also got hit in the face by a lady, and all they cared about was there butt with the bank. I experienced all that you all did - and glad i got out. Too bad - i really liked the guy i worked for - good luck

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home