Saturday, June 23, 2007

Farino's Breakwall Tavern in Mentor-on-the-Lake, Ohio (Or is it Angela's???)

This is one of those things I hate to write because I have known Mr. Farino for a number of years now, maybe going on ten, and can accept his ways, even if they do not quite jibe with mine. This time, though, I was appalled.

The bar does a Friday and Saturday evening steak dinner for $10.00. This seemed to be a phenomenal deal as it came with 1/2 ear of corn, a salad, a baked potato, and a thick slice of garlic bread, along with what was touted as a strip steak. After listening to what I thought was some good-hearted arguing between Bob and Angela, mostly regarding her garlic butter, I began to get a bit worried. Bob has been working, in an ownership manner, in bars for decades and usually knows his food. She kept telling him obvious things such as: "The butter separates and the garlic falls to the bottom." Fucking, DUH!!! I was shocked that he took what she said. I was also somewhat offended for him. That was WAY out of line, but, again, I digress.

I ordered my steak medium rare, as always, and awaited this wonderful meal. The salad came out, pre-dressed, which I hate, but it was a light-tasting Italian dressing. The garlic bread, which I was ready to be astounded by, was flavorless. The corn, which I had heard had been purchased for an unGodly $5.00 dozen, should not have been done. Although it was OK, another month and our wonderful, so-sweet-you-don't-need-butter corn would have been ready. It was a nice try just didn't quite work. Now for the steak.

I don't know what to say, and I know that's a fucking jaw-dropper. This was the toughest "strip" steak I have ever eaten. It had no flavor, and was like eating a slab of gristle. I have had better and much more tender $2.00 a pound flank steaks. I don't know what we got but it was most assuredly NOT a strip steak.

Just because I know people at the establishment, doesn't mean I can find the proverbial silver lining. I could not do it here. I hate to say it, but i will probably never again order food form The Breakwall.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commenting to your blog about The Breakwall Tavern i have enjoyed a quite a few meals there an would like to say that the Tavern has come a long way, and if you knew Bob you would know that things are his way and his way only, and as far as the Bob and Angela show;thats what it is "a show" They both have nothing but respect for each other. Give another chance.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home