Saturday, June 23, 2007

Toronto, Toronto, Toronto

What can I say, my friends? I have just returned from the best city I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. I have been to a few, DC, Pittsburgh, San Diego, West Palm Beach, LA, Mexico City, Chicago, Bakersfield (I threw that one in to see if you're still with me), but NONE compare with the diversity and overall feeling of welcome on gets while in the heart of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In fact, the worst part of the trip was coming back into the states and the bitchy and much too serious border guards. I understand that they need to be diligent because of tariff and other laws, but, come on, not everybody is a fucking terrorist. Thanks, George Bush, you asshole. Next time, maybe I will stay there. At least the Canadians act like they want me to be there.

Anyway, we went for the Pride celebration, not knowing it was a week long event. Here in Cleveland we are lucky to have it attended by more than 10 people and last for a couple of hours. That's what happens when one goes from one horse city to cosmopolitan energy center. I am obviously exaggerating about the time and quantity of people, but not by as much as you might think. Anyway, as usual, I digress. I do not want to make this long and drawn out but do want to hit on a few highlights. Since this is usually about food, I will tell you about this place I was lucky enough to find again after my ten year absence from the city. I'll be damned if I can remember the name but it is something....Tree. The way in which this place is set up reminds one of a fair with many different foods begin offered by each different kiosk. The difference is that one may travel to each kiosk and, rather than pay each vendor, swipe a card and pay at the end of your dinner. There were offerings from Pakistan, Italy, Greece, and various others along with pastries and breads. Also available were freshly made, in from of your face, juices. All this for whatever you might want to spend. I had a meal I was unable to finish for under twenty dollars Canadian. Oh, It was in the Eaton Center with windows on Yonge Street, I think. (Meaning the Eaton Center Part.)

We went specifically to see the Cyndi Lauper True Colors Tor which was a great time, her microphone misfunctioned twice though which detracted from the quality but in no way from the message. IO will not go into the entire concert, but, as you may have noticed, it did not make a stop in Cleveland. That's because we do not really support diversity and the whole theme of True Colors. I hope that one day we can get out of the conservative bigoted rut we have dug ourselves, but until that time comes, I am glad we have friendly neighbours. Thank you, Toronto, for a wonderful time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home