Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Red Lobster in Mentor, Ohio

I have to tell you, imagine that, about my latest experience at Red Lobster. I have to say, I was no where near as impressed as I used to be. In fact, Red Lobster was once so high on my list that I went there, 20 years ago, while in South Florida instead of the local, probably fresher, seafood establishments, but, as usual, I digress.

On 5 February, 2007, I went to the Red Lobster in Mentor, Ohio with three companions. It was a Monday at about 4:15 when we arrived, that is to say there was little business and many open tables. Our server, Ronald, was very pleasant and accommodating at first. He even demonstrated the humor necessary to make a customer smile. Two of us arrived about five minutes before the others and while we waited, we ordered drinks and an appetizer. Ten minutes after the arrival of our other party, we ordered our entrees. Another ten minutes passed when the soups and salads arrived. Of course, by this time I was wondering if they went to the east coast to find the crab and lobster for the appetizer. When he finally went by again, I asked our server about the appetizer, he blamed it on shift change but said it would soon be up. By now we are talking at least 30 minutes AFTER it was ordered. The server should have made a comment LONG before I asked anything, which is why it took me so long to ask. I was giving him a chance. He obviously fucked that up.

The seafood spinach dip finally arrived 35 minutes after being ordered and it was not good. It tasted extremely “fishy” meaning the ingredients were probably old and was grainy rather than gooey, BUT I was so hungry I ate it anyway. The next problem, and I am sure you can all figure this out by the timeline, was the fact that our entrees had yet to show. About ten minutes after the dip, Ronald came back and said, “They must have gone fishing for those other orders, ‘cause they aren’t ready yet. But, you do notice all the people coming and out so you see it is shift change.” We said we knew because he had already told us of the change. About 10 more minutes of waiting ensued before the entrees made it to the table.

About the entrees… two of us ordered slightly off the menu by asking for duplicates portions instead of other items or something slightly different, while one ordered a steak which she said was, “OK.” Another ordered the “make your own combination,” or something to that effect, dinner. He said his steak was done perfectly. Kudos to the chef at least for that, BUT that means the food was not started when it should have been because it took almost 45 minute from order to service. Nothing we ordered should have taken more than 15 minutes to cook. ANYWAY… I ordered the Ultimate Feast as did my other companion. She asked that the crab legs be left off and instead another order of lobster, and I use that word almost jokingly, I asked for broiled scallops instead of fried shrimp. We were told by Ronald that such was doable, but he in no manner said it would cost extra, because, if we had known how much, we would never have agreed, but, again I digress.

I almost laughed when I saw what they called lobster tails. I have seen crawdads bigger, or shall I say “langostino?” The “butter” was something bubbly and absolutely NOT butter. The scallops were watery, the French fries, which also used to be great were boring, the biscuits, which I used to love, were dry and tasteless. In fact, Bisquick makes a mix that after adding a bit more cheddar, some garlic powder and brushing with olive oil or butter, tastes MUCH better than the Cheddar Bay Biscuits, which I am sure were the inspiration. Guess what, Red Lobster? The better “mouse trap” has been built.

Next we have the other portions of the wait. It took entirely too long, after completion of the meal to get our check. This seems to be happening a great deal of late. Once service has stopped, the wait staff seems to forget people are there and go on about something else. These folks need to know that their tip depends upon more than personality and service while the food is arriving. Cleaning up and allowing a party to leave without having to ask for a check is also important. To bring us back to the prices, once the check arrived, I was appalled to seem the exorbitant charge for our substitutions, $8.50 for the extra lobster and $2.00 for the scallops. I immediately requested a manager, when I was finally able to get Ronald’s attention, which, as you have probably already figured, took another five minutes or so. She blamed the corporate office for instituting the charge and the waiter for not informing us of the charge. She agreed to take the $8.50 off the check, but said nothing about the inordinate amount of time we spent waiting for the food or the extra charge for the scallops.

As an aside, I also had to mention to her that certain staff should not be seen in the dining area. My point is this: I do not want to see people who are dressed or look in any manner inappropriate, to my way of thinking, out on the floor. One of the kitchen staff stood by the register, which was with about 20 feet of us and in clear view, talking to one of the wait staff for quite some time. He had noticeable neck tattoos. I have tattoos myself and have nothing against them, BUT, those on the neck, to me, say, “GANG,” loud and clear. I am very open-minded compared to most of my peers, so if this bothers me, it definitely bothers the general public more. She said that, “They are, obviously not allowed to serve with those, but they can cook.” To which I replied that we, customers, should never seem them either. She said nothing more. I didn’t get her name but believe it was Kim. Just the two of us spent $80.00 including tip. I am not at all happy and will probably go anywhere else for seafood before going back to this establishment.

This is for those of you who want neck tats, THINK before you do it. They will NEVER be roundly accepted in our society. You will ruin many possibilities for yourself by getting these works of art in that particular place. Express yourself, but not where it can’t be hidden when need be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home