Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Gene's Place West Park area of Cleveland

My companion and I went to the restaurant called Gene's Place on Lorain and Rocky River Roads on Cleveland's West Side yesterday, 19 February 2007. We were not impressed. Although the place had an interesting Hollywood theme, the ambiance did nothing to make up for the "personalityless" server and the mediocre food.

It cost less than twenty dollars for the two of us, but the food we ordered was not really worth even that. In fact, my onion rings tasted as if they had been friend in oil that hadn't been changed in quite some time, as did my companion's french fries. I ordered that Sirloin sandwich and she ordered a plain burger. Nothing but the bun and three small dill slices came with our sandwiches so we had to order our fried food on the side, never again will I do that, especially there. The steak was so-so and the onions and mushrooms seemed as if they had been done some time before and barely re-heated.

Now the server.... We were never told her name and she did not have a tag on. She was relatively young and had a pierced nose. Anyway, I have been around, but have very rarely seen someone so thoroughly lacking in personality. She was also a piss-poor server beyond that in that she did not know how to correctly speak to people. (I can only hope she was just having a bad day, because if she worked for me that would be the only way she would stay. She would have to be much better regularly.) When she came to request our order she said, "What do you want?" Other comments were one word requests such as, "Ketchup?" The only time she acted as if she were OK was when someone came in and sat at the booth on the wall hiding the kitchen. In fact, she sat down with the woman and a small child while she had tables and had yet to give us our check. (The kitchen was loud as well. We heard a male berating someone for forgetting a salad and something else which we could not quite make out.)

I am not saying that everything was bad, but I would not go out of my way to eat at Gene's Place, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home